In the culture, a cypher is where we share 360 degrees of knowledge. At the Hip Hop Film Festival, we bring the Masters of the game and put them in a cypher with our filmmakers and festival attendees for a pure exchange of knowledge and resources. Unique only to HHFF, we call it our MASTER CYPHERS™
Across the "four days of fresh", festival founder & director CR Capers produced Master Cyphers and conversations that are relevant and much needed in the space. This created a safe space for the filmmakers and Masters to share their experiences and resources.
THE 2019 HIP HOP FILM FESTIVAL MASTER CYPHERS
THE DOPE WEB SUMMIT
Now that everyone is creating content and making episodic content for the web, how does one stay unique and move the ever fickle mobile viewer to keep tuning in? This cypher is a discussion with the masters of the web game…
- Snypes Murdock – Director, Digital Originals @ BET Digital (BET Networks)
- Michael A. Pickney – Award Winning Director, HHFF 2019 Best Director Nominee, Black Noise Media
- Pascal Tessaud – Director, CANNES nominee, President of Cypher Films
- Caleb Davis - Emmy Nominated Writer/Creator, Tough Love & Pillow Talk
WE STAY FLY : BLACK SKIN ON FILM
The HHFF is proud to present an intimate Master Cypher with Harlem's own DAPPER DAN and Rashida Bolden (See You Yesterday , Monsters and Men , The Incredible Jessica James) one of the few women of color heading the makeup departments of major studio motion pictures. She and Dapper Dan leads this cypher with our HHFF filmmakers and audience to address the “behind the scenes” problems of filming ethic skin, and the need for diversity in the employment of makeup & hair artists in the industry. It also provides guidance for on how to represent the culture without "appropriation".
NARRATIVES THAT CHANGE THE SYSTEM
The HHFF is proud to present an intimate Master Cypher with directors who have tackled societal views through their documentary & narrative work.
- Bruce Cohen – Oscar Winning Producer (Best Picture), President of the Board of Directors of the American Foundation for Equal Rights and Hollywood Liaison for Michelle Obama’s Joining Forces
- Stephon Bristol – Award Winning Director, HHFF alumni and Director of NETFLIX’s See You Yesterday (HHFF 2017 Best of the Fest Winner)
#BOSSCHICKS : THE BOSS PITCH
The Boss Pitch is a "Shark-Tank" style pitch event where filmmakers and dreamers have the once in a lifetime opportunity to pitch DIRECTLY to WOMEN who are the decision makers of successful corporations, media giants, investors and influencers.
GRAND PRIZE : ONE PERSON WILL RECEIVE A DEVELOPMENT MEETING WITH REVOLT NETWORKS
- Cherisse McKenzie – COMPLEX Media
- Squeaky Moore – Executive Producer / Pitch Guru
- Sharon Parker Frazier – Plaza 7 Agency
THE ART OF THE DEAL
A spirited discussion with industry peers regarding the art of the deal. Tackling everything from publishing to distribution deals to financing to marketing, these Indie filmmakers and Hollywood executives offer advice and support to filmmakers navigating bringing their narratives to life.
- Chad “Cutty” Quinn – Award winning Director, HHFF Alumni & 2018 Best of the Fest winner, Director/Writer for TV ONE
- Steven Beer – Partner, FWRV, Legal services to independent film producers, directors, screenwriters, actors, musicians, and film production and distribution companies
- Cylla Senii – Award winning director, writer, Producer of BET’s Situationships